Tuesday, September 30, 2008

What's in a Name?

Ever since I've been teaching, I have had some funny experiences with kids trying to pronounce or remember my name. When I first started, I would introduce myself, and tell the kids that they could call me Mrs. S if they were having trouble with the name. Some did, but surprisingly most didn't. Until this year.

I don't know what it is, but this year, a lot of kids are having a hard time pronouncing or remembering my name. It could be that I deal with a lot of kids this year (like the whole school) and that this includes the kindergarten. And in kindergarten, everything is new.

I have heard all variations of my name, from "Mrs. Einstein" to "Mrs. Einsteinhauer" to "Mrs." (just plain Mrs.) to "Miss S". Today someone asked me my name, so I told him. He said, "That's a nice name, but it's really hard to remember." "Thanks?" I mumbled in return. I'm surprised that I haven't heard "Mrs. Steinhouser" as most people like to say when they are soliciting something over the phone.

I wonder how long it will take for kids to learn how to spell my name? Oh, now that's a whole other story. Baby steps, right?

1 comment:

ckweirath said...

What about Mrs. Steinhowever?

It's so funny that they call you Mrs. Einstein! It's like they knew about your former life.