Wednesday, September 10, 2008

More Summer Stuff

On Monday night, we had a dinner that helped to squeeze some more out of the last days of summer. We made beer can chicken and basil, tomato and bean salad. (I know that I've written the recipe for this salad someplace, but I can't find it in any of my archives).

When Stein went out to start the grill, he realized that we were out of gas and ended up cooking the chicken in the oven. This was the best idea since the rain started shortly after that. We have had so little rain this year, that the sound of the rain outside while I was making the salad made me feel so happy. (Sorry Karen, I know the sound of rain doesn't make you happy lately).

Here is a picture of the finished chicken product:
And here's a picture of the basil, tomato, and bean salad:

We had 2 tomatoes clinging to their vines (our tomatoes were not very good this year), and some basil that was still there. Freshly picked, and perfect to squeeze out some of the last drops of summer. And the bowl? We always put this salad (and tuna salad) in this bowl for some reason. Do you do that? Certain things go in certain bowls? (I guess we're all creatures of habit).

This bowl was one I got from my Great Aunt Ann. It has a crack in the side of it, but I just can't bear to throw it out. I silence the food safety voice in my head screaming, "BACTERIA! IT'S HARBORING BACTERIA!" when I fight the urge to throw it out. I love this bowl. It's a well-worn bowl that I like to look at and think about all the things that were made in it. I get nostalgic like that.

3 comments:

Dig said...

I think that chicken looks a little drunk to me! Might start dancing off the grill!

I'm ok with rain. As long as it's in Michigan.

ckweirath said...

That chicken is creeping me out a bit. It looks like it is going to walk off the pan. You know me and my aversion to chicken on the bone, though.

Snap said...

Bacteria is good for you. I have a neighbor who is vigilant about making sure she has NO anti-bacterial anything in her house. (somewhat like dig, but in the US this takes effort)
She is certain her kids have no allergies because of her efforts. Keep that bowl from the aunt and you'll live a long life.