Saturday, September 27, 2008

Random Bits

I have been getting into more of a groove in my position. It is certainly less stressful than my long-term 5th grade job last year, but it just doesn't have the "oomph" that the 5th grade job had. I think that has to do with not having my own class of kids.

A big relief was felt this week when I was able to put the kindergarten and 1st graders on the computers. Before, I had to figure out something to do with them in the library for 2 class periods. Y'all know how that goes. Or went.

I think the most rewarding part of the job is the comments I get from some of the lower el kids, and also the "aha!" moments I see in some of their eyes when I'm reading a story or helping them do their math on the computer.

I really need to start writing some of these funny moments down. There are probably about 3-5 things that happen everyday that make me laugh or realize just how young these kids are. I'll try recall a few of them this week:

  • The first day that one of the kindergarten classes visited the computer lab, I talked to them outside in the hall first. I wanted to give them a little prep about what we were going to be doing in the lab. All of the prepping in the world couldn't have prepared them enough for the overwhelming sight of seeing 25+ computers in one room. When one boy walked into the room, he screamed at the top of his lungs while shaking his whole body, "THIS IS COMPUTER LAND!!"
  • As I stood in the middle of a class of kindergartners, I felt something on my shoe. It was one little girl just rubbing her hand back and forth across my smooth clog. She was mesmerized.
  • It continues to amaze me how everyone has a story to tell, regardless of the topic being discussed at the time. I can be in the middle of talking about pumpkins, or leaves, or whatever topic we're reading about, when I hear, "I have 3 grandmas." or "I have Star Wars figures at home." or "I like your necklace and earrings." or "This weekend I'm going to my cousin's house."

I still continue to grapple with the logistics of the library. It became more challenging this week as books were coming in and books continued to go out. Some days I felt like Lucy in the candy factory, trying to get the books checked in and shelved before the next class came into the library. I did have a parent volunteer one morning, which helped a lot. I hope to find more parents who want to help.

What isn't different about this teaching job is the thoughts that continue to run around my brain as if they're running a marathon. Plans for lessons, kids' names, library processes, computer program issues, helping teachers with curriculum supplement, etc., etc. I don't find myself up at night as much as I did last year, but the thoughts are there when I wake up.

I hope everyone is enjoying fall. We have been lucky here in Michigan (I think all of the Midwest) with beautiful fall weather. Cool nights, sunny days, and the changing colors on the trees. Enjoy!

1 comment:

ckweirath said...

I love kids. I spent the weekend with my nieces and nephews and the random things that came out of their mouths were hysterical.