Monday, September 15, 2008

Add it to the List

Whenever the fall season of TV comes around, I get a little anxious. I get this way because usually the season before has brought all of the shows that I (or our TiVo) can handle. And then the thought of adding more shows onto the agenda makes me nervous. (Kind of like my obsession with magazines, when more come in and I haven't read the previous month's issue. But, not to worry - I'm letting all of my subscriptions run out. Sorry Mick!)

I digress, once again. Back to TV. Eventually a couple of shows drop off the list from lack of interest, and make room for other shows. But this year is a little different. This year, I added a show to the list in the summer. And this I blame on Anthony Bourdain. Two weeks ago, on Labor Day, Stein and I innocently sat on our couch for oh, about 6 or 7 hours straight. Purely gluttonous, we admit. But we had good reason to sit still and watch TV. There was an Anthony Bourdain No Reservations marathon on that day. That was when I added another show to my list.

I didn't like Anthony Bourdain when I first saw his show. I thought he was really arrogant and snarky. I thought he was a food snob. But now I am wooed by his vocabulary, and lulled by his sentences. He is a really good writer, and I really like his narrative style. He admits that he's snarky, which I think is admirable. He's brutally honest, which is equally admirable. He travels and talks about food, restaurants, and food people. A complete package, if you ask me.

I know I can't give up Lost or The Office to make more room, so I may have to restrain myself and just not add another new show. But then again, No Reservations is now in reruns so I'm not feeling a lot of pressure to watch. I mean, there's always Netflix, huh?

No comments: