Saturday, September 20, 2008

Maybe I'm Not Modern Enough

I like to think of myself as a culturally-in-tune person. I enjoy seeing plays, going to art museums, and occasionally find myself listening to classical music.

So last night when my friend Linda asked me to go see this show, I was really excited. I am ashamed to say that I have never been to the Power Center, and was interested to see what it was like. The Power Center was very cool. The show, however, was not.

I learned very quickly that I am not a modern dance fan. The show consisted of 4 opera singers, 2 pianists (who played on the same piano - very cool), and a dance troupe of 12-14 dancers. In the first part, I was constantly trying to figure out the theme of the dances, trying to put order where there was none. I told myself to just watch and don't try to figure it out. But that bothered me. I wanted there to be some organization, some purpose. My friend Linda succumbed to her exhaustion after the intermission and was lulled to sleep by the music.

It was last night that I realized that I like structure and meaning in the performances I watch. I LOVE Broadway musicals, where the dancers are choreographed perfectly. I like ballets like The Nutcracker or Swan Lake, where the dancing reflects the theme of the story.

The operatic part of the show was phenomenal. The four people had amazing voices, even if I didn't understand the German language they were singing. At times I felt myself mesmerized by the musicians and singers, and ignored the dancers who squeaked across the stage (they were barefoot).

Call me old-fashioned. Just give me a classic ballet or musical and I'll be happy.

2 comments:

Dig said...

Or how about some of that old liturgical dancing we used to do in Catholic school? ;)

ckweirath said...

I'm with you, Kelly. I don't get it either. I'm not a huge fan of modern dance or modern art. Call me traditional...

I would have loved it if Stein had gone with you.