Monday, February 4, 2008

The Strategies of Subbing

There have been a lot of people who have asked how the whole process of subbing goes. I'll try to be as concise as I can, as it is a somewhat involved process.

Everything is done on the computer. If a teacher doesn't have someone in mind to take his/her class, then s/he goes online onto the program and puts in that a sub is needed. This could be a job for tomorrow, or it could be for any day in the future. Once the job is put in the system, any sub who is online at that moment can choose that job. I have learned that you have to be quick, once a job is out there, it only takes minutes for it to be taken. I now just take jobs to take them, then look at them later to see if it's something I want. I can always cancel a job if I want to.

Now if a teacher knows that s/he wants you, then s/he will choose your name from the sub list and put you into that assignment. For example, I got a call from a first grade teacher at the school where I student taught. She needed someone for tomorrow all day. I only had a 1/2 day scheduled, so I went ahead and cancelled that job and took the first grade job.

It really is a game. In the last 20 or so minutes I've been on the computer, there have been 5 jobs posted. Within minutes, they were taken. I did get one of them - a 1/2 day for Friday, but all the rest were for tomorrow when I already have the first grade job.

There's really no rhyme or reason as to when people are posting jobs online. I have found that there are some jobs that come available at midday (I'm assuming when teachers have a lunch break) and right after school. Then there are some that are posted later in the evening. I try to be online especially at these times, but essentially I stalk the program whenever possible. Stein is even in on the act. Whenever he gets on the computer, he clicks on "Search Again" and lets me know if anything pops up. He has even accepted some for me, knowing that I can cancel them if I need to.

I was talking to another teacher today about the whole subbing world. I have to admit, at this point in the game, I like the variety that comes with subbing. Unless I get a long-term sub job, I am in a different classroom everyday. Not only do I get to see different kids everyday, but I also get to see different classrooms, procedures, and schools. If something isn't going right, it's reassuring to know that tomorrow I won't be in the same place. Last week I taught fourth grade, today I taught a variety of kids in a special needs resource room, tomorrow I'll teach first grade, and the next day sixth. I feel like I'm expanding my experience, and honing in on my likes and dislikes too. (Talk to me in a few weeks, and I may be singing a different tune...)

Today I learned that there are a lot of incompetent subs out there, even some that have been banned from certain buildings or even whole school districts. Apparently when someone competent comes along, people notice. I made business cards printed with my name and info. so I can have something to leave behind. Hopefully I'm one of the competent ones, and teachers will want to use me again. At least that was the case today - I already have 3 days set up next week with one teacher. Score!

3 comments:

Dig said...

Whoa. I read your title and thought it said, "The Strategies of STAbbing." I think I need more sleep!!!

Kelly said...

Oh, you reminded me, that's a post for another day.

Just kidding.

Dig said...

LOL!!! Coffee...all over the computer!!!!!