Wednesday, February 6, 2008

Happy Birthday Mom!

Today is my Mom's birthday, and she deserves a whole post dedicated to her. As I said in an earlier post, I don't really like February very much. Except for the Valentine's chocolates (more about that later) and celebrating my Mom's birthday, of course.

I discover more and more that I am truly my mother's daughter. Especially now that I am a teacher.

My Mom grew up on the northside of Chicago, the youngest of 3 girls. She was the first and only person in her family to go to college, and she graduated in 3 years. She was first a teacher at a public school in Chicago (where coincidentally, my nephew now goes), then stayed home when she had all five of us. When I was in pre-school, she went back to teaching, first as a kindergarten teacher (starting the program), then opening a new pre-school/kindergarten, then as primary coordinator, then as assistant principal, and then when she completed her master's degree, a principal.

So much of her life has been devoted to teaching. Not only in the classroom, but outside as well. I have learned countless things from her. Getting along with others, keeping close contact with family and friends, and having the determination to do what you love are just some of the things she has taught me. I find myself hearing her voice in my head a lot. Most of the time it revolves around a cleaning or organizing project I may have. My Mom is an extremely organized person and also loves cleanliness. (Who else do you know who LOVES washing windows?!) It leads me to think, "What would Mom do?" in so many situations.

My love of reading is also from my Mom, I'm sure. I vividly remember listening to stories as I sat on my Mom's lap when I was really young. My Mom always encouraged us to read - on rainy days, on snowy days, in the car, whenever, wherever. She continues to be a verocious reader, and I enjoy talking about books and stories with her.

But our adventures didn't end there. She was constantly looking for ways to experience the city. We went to plays, museums, outdoor performances, whatever was going on in and around the city. I'm sure that my appreciation for the city and its culture is also due to these outings.

Happy Birthday, Mom! I hope your day is great and your year ahead is wonderful. I also hope the Arizona sun is shining warm and bright today for you.

1 comment:

Dig said...

Happy Birthday, Rita!!!! Hope it's a good one!