Sunday, February 24, 2008

Inspiring

Today I went to see Rafe Esquith speak. He is a fifth-grade teacher in inner-city LA. His book, Teach Like Your Hair's On Fire, came out in paperback recently, so he is on a book tour.

I picked up the book last week in a desperate attempt to get all the information I could before continuing with my long-term sub job. I was impressed, to say the least, and read the book in a day.

Hobart School where he teaches has 92% of the students living under the poverty level. Most of them speak English as a second language. Rafe's students come to class voluntarily at 6:30 every morning. Many of them don't leave until 4 or 5 at night. They are involved in performing Shakespeare, and participate in the school orchestra.

He also brings his students on his book tour. Today he spoke briefly about his book and his philosophy, and then the kids performed some Shakespeare. In fact, he has traveled around the country and the world with his students. They are the Hobart Shakespeareans. They're amazing.

I thought about the similarities between my class and his class. I thought about how I could incorporate some of his ideas into my classroom. He said one thing that I think is so true: bring yourself into the class. He said if you like to cook, then cook with your class. If you like sports, bring it in. His passions are baseball, music (rock), and Shakespeare. He brings all three into his class.

When I got my book signed at the end of his talk, I told him that I was also teaching fifth grade. He handed me his card and said, "Call me when you're having a bad day... Or a good day." He mentioned that he does answer the phone, and if you leave a message, he will call back. The kids also signed my book. As the last one signed his name and handed me the book, he said, "Thanks so much for coming to see us." He embodied the motto of Rafe's classroom: Be Nice. Work Hard.

Needless to say, I was inspired by Rafe, his philosophy, and his rapport with his kids. I just wonder when the guy sleeps.

No comments: