Thursday, March 27, 2008

Teaching an Old Dog New Math

I am the math teacher for both 5th grade classes. (Laura teaches both of the classes Science.) It makes things a little easier this way, so we each have one less subject to plan. I have a slight problem with this, though. I'm not much of a math person. I've always been a language arts person. Math was never extremely hard for me, but I just never liked it that much. I prefer reading over solving a math problem any day.

The other problem I have with this is the "new math". "New math", as it's called, is a way of teaching math so kids understand all the meaning behind why math works the way it does. It makes sense because they can retain it better. We all know how to do a lot of math functions, but don't understand what they mean. A lot of ways that we grew up learning to do things have changed with the new math. For example, double digit multiplication is done by "the lattice method". Or long division takes on a whole new look. Without being familiar with these methods, I find myself sometimes telling the kids, "Just use the lattice method to figure that out." Meanwhile, on a scrap piece of paper, I am multiplying furiously, adding zeros, carrying, and adding.

The night before I have to teach a particular lesson, I read over the teacher's manual. This past unit of fractions has left me guessing on more than one occasion. I can't tell you how many times I have said to Stein, "Look at this problem. How did they get that answer?" Then he teaches the teacher. I have to make myself a little cheat sheet and carry that with me as I teach. I have come to present some of the problems to the math whizzes by saying, "Hey, smart one, here's a challenge for you. Figure it out, and let me know how you did it." I consider it being resourceful.

It's all good when it's just me and the kids. But throw some adults in the mix, and it all goes to the dogs. I have a mentor form U-M in my room 3 times a week, and I can't tell you how many times I have asked for her help. Or today, when a girl in my room stayed after school for homework help. Her dad came to pick her up, and came into the room to get her. As we finished up our work, he watched and listened to my teaching. Talk about pressure! I almost got stumped at one point and started getting nervous. Suddenly, when the girl came up with the solution, I cheered, "Yes! You got it!" Then I added, "Wow, you guys must need to get going." Luckily they did.

On a totally separate note, it is snowing again. 3-6 inches are predicted for tonight. Seriously, folks. We're done, aren't we? Please?

2 comments:

ckweirath said...

Heidi told me about the new math and how she got yelled at by Jane's teacher for using "old math" when helping Jane with her homework. I don't get it at all!

amy7252 said...

Oh my gosh, you got more snow? I wonder if we did while I was gone? I wonder if we'll get more, too? AAAUUUUGGGHHHH!!! I hate it!!