Tuesday, December 4, 2007

Maybe I Didn't Need That Cup of Tea

We used to laugh at my two great aunts who always kept the table pads and a tablecloth on their dining room table. We wondered what the table actually looked like underneath. We speculated that it was a pristine wood beneath all of its protection. It was, and it still is.

I am sitting at it as I type. And I keep the pads and tablecloth on it religiously. I know, I go back and forth - do I expose the table to the elements and risk it getting scratched and stained? Or do I keep the layers on it to keep it safe?

I took the day off today to get some last minute things done on my portfolio and get some things done around the house. Linda was going to be out today, and since I would have to leave by 3:00 to get to my meeting, we would need a sub in the room. I thought, well, if I'm not going to be the sub (I can get paid for subbing now) I won't go in. So I didn't.

I "slept in" a little later than usual, and then fixed one of my favorite breakfasts: a toasted pumpkin bagel with butter and a cup of chai tea with milk. As I set the cup of tea down on the table, I had a feeling that I shouldn't set it down. I don't know why, I usually have water or tea near me while I'm on the computer.

I should've listened to myself.

Maybe it was the butter from the bagel on my fingers. When I reached for my full cup of chai tea, my hand fumbled and suddenly chai tea was everywhere. I danced around the table, lifting up papers and notes and everything else needed for my portfolio before the puddle of tea soaked further along on the tablecloth. Luckily the cup tipped away from the computer.

I'm no longer laughing at the great aunts. I'm thankful for their wisdom and forward thinking.

No comments: