Saturday, December 22, 2007

Making Fudge

Today we went over to Stein's parents to make fudge for Christmas. This used to be a tradition with my brother-n-law Marty's family and us, but we got away from it the past couple years. Jake, our nephew, requested that we reinstate the tradition this year. And so we did.

I forgot to bring my camera (I still forget that I have one, so I forget to bring it with me when we go anywhere). I wish I would've, because it was quite the scene to see Stein, his brother Marty and our three nephews working together to get the fudge made. We really noticed today how tall the boys are getting. Even though we see them pretty often, for some reason we noticed a change today. Jake is now about 6'3" and he's 13. He towers over Stein, and is now taller than his dad.

Each of the boys took his stirring responsibilities seriously. Stein also took his uncle responsibilities seriously and coached the boys during the process. "STIR!" This was the word of encouragement that he barked while the boys stood at the stove.

They ended up making 4 batches - 2 chocolate, one peanut butter, and one chocolate/peanut butter. They all turned out great. We managed to get away without taking any fudge home. We already have a ton of holiday junk food around, and didn't need to add the sugary fudge to the mix. We had a couple pieces before we left, and that was enough. I'm still experiencing the sugar high that started about 2 hours ago, and I think a nap is in order this afternoon. Maybe I'll have visions of sugarplums, or sugary fudge, dancing in my head.

1 comment:

Dig said...

I see you talking like Homer Simpson right now except rather than saying "donuts" you're going, "suuggggaaaarrrr." LOL