Wednesday, November 28, 2007

Okay, This is Getting Ridiculous

I wrote in a previous post about the amount of catalogs that we've been receiving this holiday season. Actually, it started before the holiday season, sometime around Halloween. It hasn't stopped. Everyday, we get at least 3 catalogs, from all different places.

I mentioned to Stein how wasteful it is for all this paper to be used. We're lucky here in Ann Arbor to have curbside recycling. Every week, the city collects our paper, cans, bottles, and plastic containers. I keep thinking about people who don't recycle or don't have it conveniently picked up every week. What happens to all those catalogs? More importantly, what happened to all those trees? I just recently saw a piece on the news about calling to have all these catalogs cancelled. Like I have the time to sit and call every place. Just add it to my list of things to do...

To give you an idea of some of the catalogs we've received, here is a list of the ones we still have around from the past week or so:

The Popcorn Factory (x3)
Sahalie (an REI-type store)
LL Bean
Pajama Gram (all pajamas)
Brookstone
Pier 1
REI
Pottery Barn (x2)
Hamacher Schlemmer
Mrs. Prindable's Apples ($20 caramel apples!)
Signals
Harry and David
Cheryl & Co.
The Fruit Company
Hershey's
Zingerman's
Land's End (x2)
Eddie Bauer
Sharper Image
Crate and Barrel (x2)
Uncommon Goods

Stop the madness!

3 comments:

amy7252 said...

This will help: send a postcard to:

Mail Preference Service
Direct Marketing Association
PO Box 643, Carmel, NY 15012-0643

Include your complete name, address, zip code and a request to "activate the preference service". For up to five years, this will stop mail from all member organizations that you have not specifically ordered products from.

I did this once when I lived in Ann Arbor and I haven't received a credit card offer since!

Kelly said...

Cool! Thanks for the tip!

ellenstew said...

Kelly - You can also sign up for free at www.proquo.com to remove your name and address from the "junk mail" lists. But I think my problem is that I actually buy from the places that send me catalogs - I just wish that I could prevent Pottery Barn from sending me 16 of their catalogs! Take care. Ellen