Monday, November 26, 2007

A Blanket of White

I obviously still need to work on focusing with my new camera, but I just got a handle on how to download and then upload images. It wasn't too bad, especially since I used to have a similar camera and remembered most of what to do.

This picture was taken by me this morning before I left for school. It was cloudy and the camera wanted to use the flash as I tried to get a shot of my neighbor's tree and bushes. We got some snow last night and periodically during the day today. It was a really wet snow, so it outlined the trees nicely. I can't believe that less than a week ago there were still some colored leaves clinging to the branches. Now all the trees are completely bare.

School today went really well, especially since I only had to teach 2 subjects! I also had my last observation with my advisor and that went pretty well too. I was pleasantly surprised with the kid's attention spans. Hopefully it was a reflection on the content and structure of my lesson!

I did notice today that they acted a lot better with Linda than they did with me. At first I was a little miffed that they were acting differently with her than me, but then I let go of that. She will have them for the rest of the year. I will be back periodically to sub, but for the most part, I am done. It's time to move on. Did they test me? You bet they did. Every step of the way. And you know what? I'm glad. It makes the experience that much more authentic. It also makes the end of it all that much sweeter. My confidence has increased, and I can say that I made it through some pretty tough days. That feels good.

The next big assignment that is due is my portfolio. This will hold all of my accomplishments, philosophies, pictures, etc. from my time in school and student teaching. It's been a good exercise to get everything ready to put in the portfolio. It has helped me to organize my thoughts and reflect about my experience. Now the tricky part will be putting it all together in an organized, creative way. I found myself in the scrap booking aisles at Michael's yesterday. Don't ask. I was looking for inspiration on themes. I found myself overwhelmed with cutesy. No offense to any of you scrap bookers (or whatever the proper name is), but there is a lot of stuff that goes with scrap booking. I had no idea.

Until next post... Happy winter to all, and to all a good night!

3 comments:

amy7252 said...

Don't be too offended that the kids behave better with Linda than with you. I distinctly remember a sense of rebellion in the classroom every single time we had substitute teachers, so I think they are reacting to the situation more than reacting to you. We made our student teachers miserable, I am quite sure, when I was in school!!

Dig said...

When it becomes your classroom and your students, it will be different. Love the photo!

Unknown said...

I want to see more pictures! Got any?