Monday, November 19, 2007

The Celebration Continues

Chris and Linda came to visit this weekend. I love when they come, because I feel like I have them all to myself and we can all really catch up together. I feel fortunate that we live so close to Chicago, since it allows me to see them during the year. But when we go there, we have a lot of people to see and places to go, and it doesn't allow a lot of time to catch up. That's what this weekend was all about. Catching up.

Oh, and eating. That's also what this weekend was all about. Stein started it off on Friday night when he came home from watching our niece swim in the state finals. He bounded through the door with FOUR cakes from Cold Stone Creamery. Yes, four cakes. Granted, three of them were smallish cakes, but still. My teeth started to hurt when I looked inside the bag. There was a chocolate chip, a mint, a velvet, and a peanut butter and chocolate cake. I was in heaven.

As Linda, Chris and I continued talking, Stein told me to go out to the car to meet my nephew who was holding another birthday cake. You see, there was a slight mix-up (in my favor) which led my sister-n-law to make a cake in addition to the four cakes that Stein got from Cold Stone. So I also had a chocolate layer cake with chocolate frosting. I was in heaven. Again.

Saturday morning, we went over to Matt and Anne's to tailgate before the U-M game. Boy, were we glad that we weren't going to the game. 40 degrees and rainy is not my kind of football-watching weather. Stein braved the elements to go. Unfortunately, it wasn't to watch a victory. Rats.

Jane and Shark were also in town, so Jane joined us while Shark went to the game. After watching some of the game at Matt and Anne's, we headed downtown for a little shopping and to catch the last part of the game. Inside. At a warm bar. Drinking beers. Ahhh. I made a toast at one point by saying, "I'm so excited to have you here and to be able to do this. Really, I'm just giddy." It was true. That's one of my favorite things. Good friends having good times. Just hanging out, catching up.

After the game, Shark, Dean and Stein came and met us. We all hung out together, catching up some more. Shark, Jane and Dean eventually went home, and Stein did too. So Linda, Chris and I went out for some dinner and talked some more. Really, I don't think we would ever run out of things to talk about. The conversation always flows that easily. You know you're with good friends when this happens. You don't want them to leave. You just want to talk and talk. And laugh. Oh, did we laugh. There's nothing like the laughter you have with good friends. Again, I am thankful to have them in my life.

Chris and Linda left early on Sunday morning, and Stein and I stayed close to the couch all day. I needed to get some things done for school, but other than that, I caught up on some sleep and also on the cake(s). After breakfast? Have some cake! After lunch? Have some cake! After dinner? Have some cake!

Oh, what a weekend. Food, friends, and fun. Wonderful.

3 comments:

Linda said...

Thanks for having me, I had a great time! Visiting you in Ann Arbor is a trip I look forward to each year. We did exactly what I wanted to do, we shopped, laughed and drank. Oh, tell Dave that I didn't steal anything from that one store, they gave me a mystery $6 discount off the button ornament.

Dig said...

Mmmm....cake. "Dad is GREAT! He gives us chocolate cake!"

ckweirath said...

I had a great time, too. I haven't laughed that hard in a long time. I will have to send pictures when I get them downloaded. I particularly like the one where Shark is almost kissing Dean.