Sunday, November 25, 2007

Cozy

The past few weeks we have been getting the house ready for winter mode. The humidifiers have made their way upstairs, the storm windows have been cleaned and put up, the fireplace has been cleared of candles and readied for fires, and the feather bed and flannel sheets have made their way to the bed. It's a good thing, too, since the temperatures have dipped into the 20's and 30's lately.

While I don't like winter because of the cold, I do like winter because of the feeling of cozy. I love to bundle up in comfy clothes and blankets and hunker down. Our couch is pretty conducive to hunkering down. It's a sectional, so Stein and I can each stretch out while watching TV. The overstuffed cushions envelope you until all that's left is to surrender to the comfort and sit for at least an hour. As I type this, Stein is napping at one end of the couch and I am wrapped up in a blanket under the laptop at the other end.

And then there's the bed. We have a feather bed and flannel sheets. I never knew what feather beds were until I heard the song "Grandma's Feather Bed" by John Denver as a kid. I still have visions of John Denver singing this song on a big bed with a bunch of Muppets when he was on the Muppet Show. It wasn't until I was traveling a lot that I realized what a luxurious addition feather beds can be. Stein bought one for me a few Christmases ago, and I love it. Not only does it make the bed lofty and soft, it also makes it warm. That, combined with flannel sheets, just makes for a good-night's sleep.

Last night Stein made the first fire of the year in the fireplace. There's something so calming about fires. And so warm. We assumed our positions on the couch (me under a blanket of course) and settled in for a night of watching college football. The warmth of the fire warmed the room and magnified the coziness. Just how I like winter. Inside, warm, and cozy.

2 comments:

Dig said...

"It could hold 8 kids, 4 hound dogs, and a piggy we stole from the shed!. Didn't get much sleep, but we had a lot of fun on Grandma's feather bed!"

Sleep. Cozy sleep. Yum.

amy7252 said...

Speaking of college football, how about those Mizzou Tigers?!? WOO HOO!!!

- signed, a loyal Mizzou alum