Wednesday, August 22, 2007

Why was I so Worried?

It went fine today. So fine, that I actually had fun, got to sort books for the classroom library, and listen to Dave Matthews while doing it. Not bad, huh?

My cooperating teacher Linda is great. She's very sociable, so I was introduced to a lot of other teachers this morning. Each one came in to chit chat about school stuff, personal stuff, whatever. Each time someone came in and left, I learned something new. That's what teaching and being part of a team is all about - bouncing ideas off each other, offering suggestions, being there for others. I was in my element. I was learning while I listened.

We are extremely lucky to have a large classroom, and a small class size (18 kids). When I showed excitement with this small number, Linda said that it's not always a good thing. She said sometimes it can be too small where everyone can't find a friend. She continued to say that one of her worst years was with one of her smallest classes. But I'm being optimistic - I see a small class as a better teacher to student ratio. A win-win.

I'll go back tomorrow and hopefully do some planning with her. She did a great job cleaning the room and closets at the end of last year, so there's not as much cleaning/setting-up as I thought there would be.

Of course there will be the first day jitters when the kids arrive, or when I have to teach my first lesson, or eventually when I'm teaching solo, but all in all, it's going to be fine. I just need to keep telling myself that!

No comments: