Friday, August 24, 2007

A Fun Day of Celebration

Last night we celebrated our anniversary by going out to dinner. We are always leery of going to new places on special nights, because if the place is bad, we don't want to have that as our memory. But we go back to our standard places on a regular basis, and we really wanted to try something new. At school, I asked Linda for suggestions on where to go. She listed off a bunch of places we've already been to, but then said that Logan On Washington was supposed to be great according to her friend. When I mentioned it to Stein, he agreed that we should try it.

Before we went to the restaurant, Stein came home from work carrying a big bouquet of beautiful flowers. He knows exactly what I like, and the bouquet shows it. There are lilies, a couple roses, and some other non-standard flowers that are purple, white, yellow and orange (I'm not good with flower names). A very colorful and cheerful gathering. So pretty. Here's a picture of it:

I had already bought some Gladiolus, since they were on sale at the grocery store that morning. I had gone to the store to buy ingredients to make Stein a chocolate cake (my grandma's "secret" recipe) and the red gladiolus caught my eye. As did the price tag, $3.99 a bunch! So when Stein came home with my bouquet and I put it out in a vase, we had a house full of flowers. They make me smile.


Back to dinner at Logan. What a great place. And what great food! When we got to the restaurant, I noticed that a table for two in the window had opened up. Perfect! And apparently we got there just in time before a regular missed her "favorite spot". Oh well!

We started with an appetizer of truffle gnocchi. It was a lot bigger and different shaped than traditional gnocchi and had a cheese sauce with shaved truffles on the top. Delicious. Then our entrees came. Stein ordered a Cowboy Steak that came with asparagus. It just melted in your mouth. In fact, the waitress told us that the chef stands by the steak while it cooks for ten minutes, continually drizzling butter over it. What's better than steak? Steak with butter, of course! I had a beef roulade, which came with an Indian-inspired sauce. Very tasty. And the potatoes on the side were smashed potatoes with cashews. I would never put the two tastes together, but it was really good. The creaminess of the cashews added to the taste of the potatoes. We each had a glass of wine (hand-picked by the sommelier to accompany our meals).

We kept talking about how we weren't going to have dessert because we had chocolate cake at home. But close to the end of our entrees, the sky grew dark and the lightning started. The sky opened up and started pouring. It was coming down in sheets. We joked with our waitress that it was a great tactic for anyone who was just thinking about dessert. The rain would make up their mind to stay a little longer. So out she came with the dessert tray. Goat cheese cheesecake, flourless chocolate cake, creme brulee, poached peaches, and cookies and milk.

The rain continued, so we ordered dessert. The chocolate cake at home could be eaten tomorrow, we decided. Stein ordered the cheesecake and I ordered the cookies and milk. There were 2 each of chocolate chip, peanut butter, and snickerdoodle cookies, baked fresh and gooey. And in the middle of the plate was a glass of cold, whole milk (we only drink skim, so whole milk is like cream to me). Stein's cheesecake was an individual cake that had a sour cream sauce on the top. Good, but I think the cookies and milk were better. It was perfect to eat and drink and watch the people passing by on the sidewalk or the rain pouring down. About halfway through dessert, the rain stopped and the sky turned blue and grey.

It was a perfect night of good food for a great occasion. Chocolate cake, anyone?

6 comments:

amy7252 said...

Wow, that sounds like a perfect celebration! The rain actually made it a little more romantic. Congrats to both of you for making it five years ... strong marriages seem to be the exception these days, so you have to celebrate every milestone!

Kelly, it really cracks me up that you call your hubby "Stein" -- it seems like a college nickname that his poker buddies would yell at him when they see him for the first time in a long while. Very cute!

Kelly said...

I know! I really need to write a post about his name, and how I thought his last name was Stein. It's quite a funny story.

Thanks for the well wishes!

Dig said...

5 years?!!?!?!? I still regret not making your wedding. Arghaa!!!

Kelly said...

No regrets, Karen. No regrets. I didn't make it to yours, either, so we're even. It's all good.

ckweirath said...

I can't believe it was 5 years, either. I still remember you asking me how to put on your makeup. Um, hello....blind leading the blind here! It was a great wedding, though.

shelly said...

After just experiencing $3 margaritias at Chilis and a 4 year old with Paradise Pie smeared on her white shirt, I thoroughly enjoyed reading about your romantic anniversary celebration. Congrats on 5 years of marriage! The best is yet to be!