Tuesday, August 21, 2007

Old Friends, Dear Friends

Yesterday I met my friend Shelly for breakfast in Royal Oak. Shelly is my friend from college. Unfortunately, even though she lives in Michigan, we haven't seen each other in years. Through no fault of our own, the time just passed before our eyes. Life happened. Although it had been a long time since we've seen each other, it didn't matter. We were right back into comfortable conversation like we had in college.

Shelly lived on my floor freshman year in college. The first day we moved into the dorm, she was on crutches (following a knee injury). Our friend Justin was also with her. Looking back, all three of us remained friends, and I was lucky enough to be with them the day we graduated.

We survived crazy roommates together, studied together (or at least went to the library), cried with each other over the latest drama, and ate some great (and not so great) food together. But mostly, we laughed and had fun hanging out together.

Shelly was one of four roommates that I lived with senior year (yes, five women in a 4-bedroom apartment with one bathroom!). I still consider all of those women dear friends. Though geographic distance has separated us (1 in France, 2 in DC, and Shelly and me in Michigan), the minute we're together or talk on the phone, we're back where we were in the apartment in Milwaukee.

I'm so thankful for these women in my life. They are all such strong women, and have each taught me something that still remains with me today.

Shelly and I told each other as we left the restaurant that we need to see each other again soon (sooner than a couple years). And we will. That's the beauty of good friends.

2 comments:

Dig said...

I'm so hoping I'm the crazy roommate!

Jealous of your lunch together. How about you all come to my place sometime soon!?!??!

shelly said...

Personally, I only considered you crazy when you sent the loft crashing down on my humble abode!