Tuesday, August 14, 2007

Why I Love Summer

Actually one of the many reasons that I love summer. Basil! This picture is the basil that we had growing last week. Our basil grows in a planting container that sits on stilts. Our tomatoes grow from the bottom of the container through 4 holes. This way, the tomatoes don't have to be staked to keep them from falling down. They mostly curl up toward the sun, so they never drag on the ground, either. Stein got this nifty thing after seeing one at Shark and Jane's house. Gotta keep up with the Joneses, or the Sharks, I guess.

After watching the basil grow for weeks, I decided it was time to gather it. And this was our second "harvest"! So, now I have 7 stuffed gallon ziploc bags of basil in my freezer waiting for me to grind it into pesto. I was sure not to take all the leaves, since we love basil and tomato salads. Here's a picture of our tomatoes that were ripening last week:




And what is this, in a shroud of white? Well, last year we were invaded by swarms of Japanese beetles, and our basil (and impatiens) took a beating. I went to the garden center at Home Depot to inquire about some sort of protection for the basil. After getting many crazy looks from the employees there, I went across the street to Babies R Us to buy a stroller net. A couple of dowel rods keep it held up, and the elastic on the bottom doesn't let any critters in. Eureka! Our basil was saved. I guess necessity is the mother of invention. (don't tell too many people about this, though. I just may have to get it patented!)

Here's some of the basil once it was picked and put in the colander (oh, the smell of fresh basil...):



...And the mounds of basil drying on the counter before freezing. Can you tell that I'm a little obsessed with it? How could you not be when you have such a bounty?!

1 comment:

ckweirath said...

Yum! I love the smell of basil. I am so jealous of your bounty. Never got around to planting any this summer. I grab some from the farmer's market, but it isn't the same.