Friday, January 25, 2008

Kids Will Be Kids

The past 2 days I subbed in a few different classrooms while the teachers went to meetings. Different in terms of grade levels, but kids being kids all the same.

Yesterday I subbed in a kindergarten class where sharing and counting to 70 are their biggest challenges, where tattling runs rampant, and where being honest about everything from what they like to how things are done is their way of life. I had a good time with them, in their innocent, naive world. I introduced them to "Quiet Coyote" which is a fictional character that you can make with your hand. (Mickey taught me this - you touch your middle and ring fingers to your thumb, and leave your pinkie and pointer fingers "perked" up). Quiet Coyote has his mouth closed and his ears perked up to listen, just like all good boys and girls should.

I then moved on to fourth grade later in the afternoon, where I was able to observe the whole scene. There was a student teacher on the class, so I was able to just do damage control while she taught the lesson. Sweet deal, I thought. What I did observe while I was there, was a whole lot of regressing in their behavior. When indoor recess came around, 5 girls crawled around the floor and acted like dogs. I'm not kidding, they were barking and whining like dogs. (I suddenly thought about the 4th graders in my student teaching class - they did some immature stuff, but would never do this!)

Today I was at the middle school. When the kids came in and assessed the situation, I could see it in their eyes: Sub here. Act up. So they tried. Fortunately, they still listen to authority figures, so when I needed their attention, I could get it. But there was a constant chatter when I wasn't teaching. So who did I call in for help? Quiet Coyote. Yep, he was helping me once again, this time in a more nostalgic way than anything. But I didn't care, the kids got quiet when I talked about him. I also pulled out the reserves when I had the kids do some body movements to tell me that they understood. At first I told them I was just kidding, but they actually wanted to continue. So there was a room full of 6th graders, with their hands on their heads. They all asked if they could sing the "goodbye friends" song when they left the class. Luckily, I left before the class let out.

Next week? Another 6th grade class, a 3rd grade class, and a special needs class. I have a feeling that Quiet Coyote may be pulled out once again. Doesn't matter what age or what level. Kids will be kids.

No comments: