Thursday, January 3, 2008

A Fresh Start

I always like New Year's, not because of all the festivities, but because of what it means. For me, it means a fresh start. For people who had bad years last year, there's a hope that this year will be better. There's a new chance to get things right. It's a time for new possibilities, new surprises, new beginnings.

I heard a story on NPR last week about a British journalist who was captured in Iraq and held hostage for a long time. While he was in captivity, he had time to reflect on his life. He truly thought that he was going to get killed. Each day that he woke up and saw the sun, he was thankful for another chance. When he was finally let free, he was appreciative of everything around him. I've been thinking a lot about this idea of appreciation, and how so often we forget, don't have time, or don't have it in us, to appreciate. As I took a walk today to marvel at the beautiful snow (the pictures below are from my walk), I thought about the journalist and thought about the New Year. In each instance, there is new hope, new chances, new possibilities. And looking back on the the previous year and all that we've done and experienced, we should have a sense of appreciation.


So as I look forward to 2008, I am going also going to look back to 2007 and appreciate. We have been blessed with so much, and I am hopeful that we may be blessed with more in the coming year. I never make New Year resolutions, rather I like to look ahead with excitement for the possibilities of the New Year. It's a clean slate, a fresh start.

May 2008 be full of:



  • Bright Blue Skies.
In every sense of the phrase. To look at, or to have as an attitude when you're feeling too much grey. Life is too short to pout, sulk, or be moody. Just like after a rain storm, a blue sky makes everything feel better. We were so lucky to have many blue skies in 2007. Some were here in Ann Arbor, up north with family and friends, in Arizona with family, in Las Vegas with friends, or in Chicago with family and friends.


  • Time to Rest.
We all need time to rest, be peaceful, or take care of ourselves. Too often in 2007, I put rest on the back burner and suffered because of it. I hope 2008 brings as many opportunities, and also brings me the knowledge to know when I need it.
  • Time Spent Together.
2007 blessed us with so many opportunities to spend with family and friends. Sometimes we took advantage of these opportunities. Other times we didn't. In 2008, may we have these opportunities, but may we also take advantage of them too. People enrich our lives in so many ways that we will never fully know.


  • Camaraderie.

Everything is better when done with a friend. In 2008, I hope that we have the privilege of having people around us to give us support when we need it, or in turn offer support to them. We lost some important people in 2007, but realized through these losses that what's really important in times of need is those around us.


  • Beautiful Things.

In 2008, I hope that we encounter many of the beautiful things that are part of our world. I also hope that we have the appreciation for all things beautiful, including the little things like smiles. In 2007 we were witness to so many beautiful things and experiences, including births and weddings.

  • Time to Play.

Just like rest, we also need play. As adults we think that we don't have time for play, or don't make the effort to make time for play. It's so important to recharge our batteries and our creativity. 2007 brought a lot of times to play. In 2008 I hope that we have more of these times and realize the importance of playing.


  • Fruitful Opportunities.
Or fruitful outcomes that come unexpectedly. Or sweet fruit to enjoy all year. Or the sweet smell of blossoms in spring. Hopes and dreams that come to fruition. 2007 was a sweet year for us. May 2008 be just as sweet, with all of our new (or old) hopes and dreams coming to fruition.


  • Roads That Lead to Good Places.

In 2008 I hope that there are roads that lead to new places, new experiences, and new friends. 2007 gave us many roads to travel. Some rocky, some smooth as glass, some unexpected turns here and there. A lot of the roads led to family and friends. Those were the best roads of all.

3 comments:

amy7252 said...

Great blog!!

Dig said...

Love the photos, Kelly. I'm jealous of all the snow!

ckweirath said...

Great post, Kelly! I'm glad you are making good use of that camera. The photos are awesome.