Tuesday, January 15, 2008

Has it Come Down to This?

With the Hollywood writer's strike going on, I've heard that a lot of the networks are going to be creating/starting/airing their reality shows because they don't obviously require writing. Ever since I've read this, I've been aware of all the commercials for new or returning shows.

Stein and I regularly roll our eyes and moan when a commercial comes on for the newest reality show. From chef shows, to dating shows, to dancing shows, we always say the same thing, "What next?!"

I also fall into the camp that I have enough TV that I watch and I don't need another show on my TiVo plate. I have one exception, though. I watch the Real World. I feel like this is okay because a.) It was one of the first reality shows b.) I've watched it from the beginning c.) I am instantly sucked into "the true story... of seven strangers... picked to live in a house... work together, and have their lives taped... to find out what happens when people stop being polite... and start getting real" no matter what city they're in or the characters that are picked.

I have a confession to make. I watched another reality show today. And I liked it.

My friend Alissa kept telling me to watch the Amazing Race. I always resisted, mainly because of my hatred for those kind of shows, and also because it resembled Survivor. I obviously never got into that show, and knew I wouldn't get into anything that was similar to it. But when I was telling her that the end of the Real World Sydney was happening last week, she told me to TiVo Amazing Race. So I did.

I happened to TiVo the second to last episode, so it's where things got really exciting. Like the Real World, I was instantly sucked into the lives of these partner pairs as they raced to get to the finish line. I found my muscles getting tense as I thought that the pair I didn't like was going to win. My muscles loosened when I saw that they lost and were eliminated. When the credits rolled, I realized why I felt this way. The Executive Producer is Jerry Bruckheimer (of Top Gun, Black Hawk Down, National Treasure, etc. fame). This too, is a high-energy show.

So until the writer's strike is over, there will be reruns and reality shows. I really hope the strike doesn't last much longer.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Amazing race is AWESOME!