Wednesday, January 23, 2008

Game Night

Linda (my cooperating teacher from student teaching) asked if I wanted to volunteer at the family math night tonight. I figured it was a good thing to do to see how it works, and also to see some familiar faces of students I haven't seen since December.

It was a really fun night. They had all kinds of games (mostly board games and puzzles) set up at the tables in the cafeteria. Kids and their families could play any of the games at the tables. There were also 2 raffles that were held where the families could win a board game.

I got to see a handful of kids from my class. It was so sweet to see their eyes light up and their arms reach out to give me hugs. I got to catch up with a few of them, hearing about a new baby sister, or a new puppy, or a new haircut. I'm glad that I got the chance to see them again. It's that hook, just pulling me in once again.

Linda and I always talked about the necessity of play in kids' lives. With video games being the norm in most houses, kids don't play board games anymore. And they should. Board games teach so much, including social skills (taking turns, losing gracefully). When I looked around and saw all the families playing games, working on puzzles, and having a good time, I said to Linda, "This is your dream." She laughed and agreed.

Growing up, we played games all the time. We were lucky enough to have a huge bookshelf full of board games to choose from. I loved these times spent with my family. There were Monopoly games that lasted into the wee hours of the night (10:00 pm!) or cut-throat games of the card game "spoons".

I can only hope that the kids tonight will ditch the video games every now and then to play some real games.

No comments: