Saturday, January 5, 2008

Another Sign of the New Year

The Y is packed. Stein and I went this morning and found every machine in the place taken, with a backlog of people signed up after the first crew. We didn't think it was going to be that bad, especially since both of us didn't notice it too busy last week. We should have known this was a fluke. We should have remembered what happens every year.

About the 2nd week in January, the place is packed with ambitious people walking around in a daze, not sure what to do, not sure of the drill. When I mentioned the lack of people to another regular last week, she said, "Oh, the zombies will be here, just wait." I must have had a puzzled look on my face, because she then said, "Oh, you know, they come in here, with dazed looks on their faces, just going through the motions." Ah yes, I thought. The zombies.

I don't have a lot of patience for the zombies. They don't know the drill, don't bother to learn the rules, and don't want to be friendly with anyone. I guess there's a point to that, though. They won't be around for long. The zombies will stick it out for about 4 weeks, some as long as 6 weeks. Then, after their ambition is gone, the Y will be back to normal with all the regulars. The friendly ones who know the drill.

No comments: