Wednesday, September 12, 2007

I'm Walkin' Here

Since I haven't had time to go to the gym lately, I've been trying to fit in walking into my schedule. I've done it in two ways lately.

First, Linda and I have been walking at lunchtime. We attempt to do 30 minutes, but sometimes it's less if there's any last minute tasks to do (wait for the lunch monitor to take his time to get outside, etc.). It's great to get out of the building and have the time to catch up on school stuff or just get to know each other. The kids always see us walking, which I think is a great example for them.

Stein and I have also been walking at night after dinner. This also gives us time to catch up on random things, while we explore new areas of the neighborhood. When we walk, I think of Mr. Wilkinson and Mr. Becker who were my neighbors growing up. Every night during the summer, they would walk around the neighborhood, each clad in their shorts, black socks and sandals. They were quite a pair, those two. They only went around our block, so we saw them multiple times a night.

Stein and I pick a different route every night. It makes me realize every time that I really don't know the intricacies our neighborhood. On every walk there are so many streets or houses that I have never seen before. It reaffirms once again that there is still so much to see and do in Ann Arbor. Actually, in our neighborhood. We have seen some gorgeous houses in the residential sections, and some not-so-gorgeous houses in the student sections. We have explored some streets that are like private drives on the north shore of Chicago. Each house that we see and like we point out the specific feature - the porch, the yard, the unique roof or windows.

Hopefully, I will somehow find the time to get back to the gym or maybe run in the morning or after school. For right now the walking is just fine.

2 comments:

Shark said...

On your next walk-about around the neighborhood, try talking to some of the neighbors...it might just get you invited to the next block party!

Dig said...

Just make sure your black socks are pulled all the way up!

XOXO