Tuesday, March 3, 2009

Hugs and Stickers from Maria

There's a first grader named Maria who is one of my favorite kids. I know that teachers aren't supposed to have favorites, but I probably speak for most teachers when I say that we do.

Maria always has an excited smile on her face when she looks at me through her small wire-rimmed glasses. As soon as she catches my eye, she stretches her small arms toward me and gives me a hug.

This hug is my greeting every morning when I meet all the kids who come off the bus. This hug is my farewell when I watch all the kids get back on the bus. These two rituals have become part of my everyday.

Today was a special day. This morning the kids waited inside of school before the bell rang because the temperatures were too cold to wait outside. Maria saw me and gave me my morning hug, and I mentioned how cold it was and how I hoped that spring would come soon. I said, "Don't you wish spring would come soon?" She looked at the ceiling as she thought for a moment, and then said, "Yes, I really want to wear my short pants. I mean, the pants that don't go down all the way, that are shorter at the bottom." I understood immediately. She wants to wear capri pants. I do too.

A few minutes later I had turned around to tell some of the energetic bus boys to settle down. I felt someone trying to get my attention, and it was Maria holding out her hand. She had three cat stickers for me. If you know first graders or any kids for that matter, you know that stickers are like gold and not easily given away. I thanked her like I got a sack of diamonds and stared at the cat faces like I actually loved cats.

Hugs and Stickers. Some of the many rewards of teaching.

No comments: