Tuesday, January 20, 2009

Witnessing History

What a day. It was one of those that while it was happening, I kept telling myself, "Remember everything, Kelly. This is a day that will be talked about and remembered for a long, long time. Enjoy and take it all in, but also remember all of the details, all of the emotion."

I wasn't ready for the emotional part. I don't know why, but I wasn't. At the assembly this morning, I choked back tears so many times. I had a small part in the assembly, so I needed to be on my game. The emotions started when the student council got up on the stage and did a choral recitation of Martin Luther King Jr's "I Have a Dream" speech. Some of the kids had solo parts. Who wouldn't be choked up when a little first grader was belting out her part like an experienced orator? There were also some classes that sang songs in tribute to Martin Luther King. Who wouldn't be choked up when a kindergarten class sang This Little Light of Mine? And in between the singing and speeches, three different parents came up to the microphone to tell why this day meant so much to them. Who wouldn't be choked up when one man talked about his Haitian father marrying his Michigan-born mother and living the dream? I don't know how you could be prepared for all of this, but honestly I felt a bit blind sighted by it.

I decided to watch the Inauguration ceremony with a friend of mine alone in the computer lab. Another teacher came and joined us. I could've watched it with any of the other teachers and students in their classrooms, but I chose to really give it my full attention. While we watched, we made a comment here and there, but for the most part, we sat in awe while the events unfolded in front of us. I thought about great moments in our nation's history. I thought about great people in our nation's history. Today had both of these things, and more. And we were there to witness in it. To take part in it.

About an hour after Obama's speech, I was in the computer lab with one of the kindergarten classes. They were engrossed in their PBS Kids, and I was working at one of the computers. One of the fourth graders came into the lab and shouted, "Mrs. Steinhauer! Did you watch Obama's speech?" When I nodded and smiled, he said, "That was great. I still remember it!"

We all will continue to talk about this day, continue to reflect. When you're a part of history, it's easy to do that.

No comments: