Sunday, January 18, 2009

It is a BIG Deal

This week I had the fortune of reading a fabulous new picture book, Barack, to some of the classes. It was very fitting that I read this book, not only in anticipation of the Inauguration on Tuesday, but also for the part where they talk of Martin Luther King's influence on Barack. Barack grew up hearing the words of Martin Luther King, Jr. and then put those words into action.

On Tuesday, we are having an assembly at school to commemorate Martin Luther King, Jr. In planning the assembly, we want to make the connection between this great man's work and dream and Barack Obama's journey to embody that dream. We found several ways that we're going to do this, including reading the mentioned excerpt from the book, and this You Tube video.

When I finished reading the book to the classes, I tried to explain to the faces looking up at me that Tuesday's Inauguration is a big deal. I tried to explain that this will be a very historic day. I tried to explain the positive ramifications that this great event will have on their future. I think the 5th graders could kind of get the gist. The 1st graders, though, may take a while to understand. (In fact, some of them still think that Martin Luther King, Jr. is either Obama's dad or brother.)

Today I flipped through some channels and found the Inaugural Celebration. There on the steps of the Lincoln Memorial, where Martin Luther King, Jr. eloquently delivered his "I Have a Dream" speech, were some of our country's greatest performers. They performed patriotic songs, spoke of poignant moments in our country's history, and came together to celebrate the hope that this man named Barack embodies. When is the last time that you saw great musicians like Bruce Springsteen, Sheryl Crowe, U2, Beyonce, Stevie Wonder, Usher, Josh Groban, celebrities like Tom Hanks, George Lucas, Tiger Woods, George Lopez, and others all together to celebrate one man, one hope? There have been some occasions and some Inaugurations that have had celebrations, but nothing like this.

This. This is a BIG deal.

1 comment:

Dig said...

I wish I were home.