Tuesday, January 27, 2009

The Journey of Reading

I'm continually amazed at the power of reading. I know that being a teacher puts me pretty close to the process, and being in a library puts me even closer. Learning to read is a magical time to me, not only because it opens doors that you never knew were there, but it seems to just click early on and kids seriously look like there's a light bulb above their head. I don't remember exactly when it clicked for me, but I know that I read anything I could get my hands on, trying to sound out words, and master the system.

Since the beginning of the year, there have been different glimpses of the reading process that I have seen. Since I was a reading major for my certification, I'm kind of a geek when it comes to looking for the signs of the reading process. (Remember, along with Mickey, you will find me at the annual reading conference in March.) First there were the kindergarten classes who were quick to tell me when they saw certain letters or short words in the books I was reading. You never realize just how many times words like "the" "and" and "no" are in books until ten 5 year-olds are shouting out, "I see 'the'! I see 'and'!" and interrupting your reading every ten seconds.

The writing process goes right along with this. I can see it mostly in the kindergarten and first grade classes when kids are trying to describe the pictures they draw. I'm sure that they're sick of the canned "Tell me about your picture" response I give when they show me a picture they just drew. (I made the mistake once of trying to guess what someone drew, only to be sternly corrected.) Now they want to write about what they're drawing, and save the corrections.


In the older grades, I see the process of turning reading around into learning. They transition from "learning to read" to "reading to learn". I see this in the computer lab as they navigate their way through various programs. I also see it as they prepare for the upcoming science fair.

Although I know a lot of the science and research behind the process, this doesn't matter when I see the wonder and awe on the faces of young readers. Reading is a journey. It is magical. It is inspiring. It is liberating.

I feel really lucky to be a small part of this important journey these kids are on.

No comments: