Sunday, November 9, 2008

The S Word

Patty: Try to catch snowflakes on your tongue. It’s fun.
Linus Van Pelt: Mmm. Needs sugar.
Lucy Van Pelt: It’s too early. I never eat December snowflakes. I always wait until January.
Linus Van Pelt: They sure look ripe to me.

We went to see a movie with Eric and Mia this afternoon, and when we got out of the theater, it was snowing. Mia instantly opened her mouth and stuck out her tongue. I did the same, but definitely felt like Lucy. It's too early. It's November for heaven's sake. Can't I just ease into this h*ll? Can't I just take my time to find all of my winter gear, slowly incorporate warmer layers into my rotation of school clothes, and just practice scrunching my shoulder and neck muscles against the cold for a little while?

It was just last week that the temperatures reached into the 70's. A sick joke, if you ask me. It was like summer tried to strut her stuff one last time. It was all a big tease. It made me want more weeks of the warm stuff. Nope. Friday night the temps dipped down, and the precipitation started. Tonight when we left for home, there was snow on the pumpkins in front of Eric and Mia's house.

Snow and cold. They're bad, four letter words.

3 comments:

Dig said...

You need a husky to help you appreciate all the joy that winter can bring. I'd happily lend you one if you want. ;)

ckweirath said...

I think you need to come to terms with winter because it will be a long time before you can retire to Arizona. Just think about all the good things about winter - fun sweaters, hot chocolate, Christmas cookies.

Kelly said...

Yeah, I know. I honestly don't know how my mom survived for so long in Chicago. And you're right, there are some good things about winter. Thanks for being my optimist when the pessimist inside is screaming.