Tuesday, November 18, 2008

Fragility

I got a message this morning from a friend I used to work with.  He relayed the bad news about the husband of a former co-worker who was killed in Afghanistan.  Apparently a roadside bomb was the cause.  I thought back to my conversations with her about her husband.  She told me he was in the special forces, so a lot of his locations and operations were a secret.  There were many times when she didn't know where he was.  She had so much faith that everything was going to be alright, since he was a trained sniper.  For a long time everything was.  There is some irony that he was killed by something he couldn't see, couldn't fight.  I am sending good thoughts to my friend in this awful time.  May John finally rest in peace after serving in a war for so long.

I also heard from another friend who is going through a stressful time right now.  Without getting into it, she is also dealing with the well-being of a loved one.  I am sending her warm, positive thoughts in this worrying time.

As I look around at all of the vibrant, smiling kids here at school, I am thankful for what I have, the friends and family who support me, and the wonderful experiences that make me who I am. You never know when you may need to call on those people or experiences to support you during the tough times.   

No comments: