Thursday, November 6, 2008

Hope

I have started and stopped writing about 5 blog posts about the election since Tuesday. I was first going to write about the voting process, my voting experience, how it made me remember the big booths with the curtains that I was fascinated by as a little girl. But you know what? Most people have covered my thoughts eloquently. Karen (of flidstickdig) said it very eloquently, I must say. And to her post, I say ditto. So I will leave it to others to wax poetic about this week of politics.

I do have to say, I am glad that it's over. I was so tired of the negativity, the phone calls, the mail, and the mudslinging. This year, more than any other, I have seen friendships being torn apart because of political differences. It's been pretty amazing, actually. Yet one thing that has emerged from all of this is a feeling of hope. No matter if you voted for the winner or not, you have to admit that the country feels a little differently. Or I should say, people's feelings about the country are different.

For once in a long time, there is a feeling of hope.

I am not saying that just by electing this person guarantees that we will instantly be out of the economic slump we're in, or that homelessness will be eradicated, or that we will have health care for all. I am saying that people actually have hope that something will be different. That change will be made in a positive direction. That anyone, from any background, with whatever experience, can rise above this and be successful. That is hope to me.

2 comments:

Dig said...

I with you, Kel. And I think you said it pretty darn well yourself!

ckweirath said...

Well said, Kelly. You and Karen nailed it on the head.