Wednesday, August 27, 2008

A Waste of 2 Hours

Whatever you do this summer, DO NOT go see Tropic Thunder. It is one of the worst movies I have ever seen. I wasn't too keen on seeing it, but when I checked out Rotten Tomatoes to see how it fared with their rating system, it got an 83%. (Am I reading these numbers wrong? After seeing it, it would make more sense that it got a 17%, or lower.) The cast was also promising, seeing that it had a bunch of people that Stein and I normally like in movies: Ben Stiller, Jack Black, Robert Downey, Jr. And as we watched it, more well-known stars were in it: Tom Cruise, Nick Nolte, and Matthew McConnaughey. I said to Stein afterward, "Didn't these stars see themselves at the premier and think, this really stinks?"

Man, did it ever. I don't know what was worse, the movie, or the 2 women behind us who laughed at ANYTHING. I mean, the opening scene shows Ben Stiller standing there. Again, standing there. And what is this woman doing? Laughing hysterically. After 2 hours of laughing at everything, Stein and I wondered if maybe they were drunk. I never laughed once. I smiled probably two times, but never laughed. Dumb doesn't even begin to describe it.

Don't get me wrong. We love our fair share of comedies, be it silly or slapstick. But this was neither of those. This was stupid. (Another word I don't use often unless I mean it.) I wouldn't even recommend it on DVD. That's how bad it was.

I read that it is leading box office sales and is ahead of Dark Knight (a GREAT movie, by the way). Seriously? I weep for the insane people who actually like (and laugh at) this movie. Like the two crazy women behind us at the theater.

2 comments:

Diane said...

Thank God you posted. Just saved us about $15.

ckweirath said...

Those are some strong feelings, Kelly! I'm impressed that you and Stein didn't walk out.