Monday, August 11, 2008

Can't Get Away From It

I love the Olympics. Winter or summer, it doesn't matter. I love 2 weeks dedicated to young athletes from around the world competing, and the pomp and circumstance of it all. I was lucky enough to go to the Summer Olympics in Atlanta in 1996. It was fantastic seeing the events in person. (Except the men's walk-race which took place outside the stadium while we watched it on the jumbo tron).

Stein and I have been watching the Olympics religiously on TV this past weekend. It was convenient over the weekend, because you could see a lot of the events live, even with the time difference. When we couldn't see an event live, and would have to wait until that night to see it replayed, I tried my hardest not to watch the news, pay attention to the headlines on MSN, and listen to NPR. This morning proved to be the hardest.

As Stein and I got ready this morning, the Today show was on. They are broadcasting live from Beijing, so of course they're going to keep the viewers up to date on what's happening. When they started reporting on the swimming events which we hadn't seen, Stein immediately switched the channels to keep us from seeing the full report. I went in the shower and turned on the radio, just in time to hear, "And last night's swimming event..." I said, "La la la la la la" out loud to keep from hearing it. Then I just turned the radio off. But then, as I exited my email this morning, MSN's home page had a headline about the event. I tried to avert my eyes, but I think I may have an idea of what happened. Don't tell me - I didn't read the details, and we'll hopefully get to watch it tonight.

No comments: