Monday, August 25, 2008

Olympic Withdrawal

I'm having a bit of withdrawal today without the Olympics. I told you about my obsession with the Olympics? Well, now I'm feeling the effect of not having them around. It became a schedule for Stein and me. Every night at dinner, he would ask me what time it was. Eventually we would have to come in to do the dishes (or load the dishwasher, as we do) and get settled on the couch to watch the events. Last week, when I was home in-between my trips, I found myself up until 11 or 12 each night to watch events. One was beach volleyball, another was track and field. Saturday night? The men's marathon. And then there was always the Today Show recapping the night before, having interviews with the winners, etc. Today it just seemed boring when they were broadcasting from Rockefeller Plaza.

This year the Olympics took on a whole other dimension for me. I think it was my last ditch effort to savor summer. I've been struggling with this the past few weeks. I've been grasping onto anything and everything to make summer last. I am in denial that the students are moving back this week, and the first football game is Saturday. I am in denial that next Tuesday is the first day of school, and every store and sale ad is hawking school supplies. Do I have to mention again that I loathe winter? I don't mind fall, really, in fact I love the change in the air, but it just begins a slippery slope into winter which I hate. Hate. I don't use that word very often, you know.

Last night as we were watching the closing ceremonies, I said to Stein, "Don't you think that these athletes are kind of saying to themselves, 'what next?" He agreed with me, and we both mentioned that it probably is like graduating from college only worse. I mean, in the Olympics, you work hard for four years or more, perform, maybe get a medal, and then what? At least with college, you get a diploma, and hopefully the possibility of landing a job, or going to graduate school, or something. Life after the Olympics seems a lot more unknown for most of the athletes.

Now what? Well, we just got the Big Ten network available to us on cable. So now we can watch any given game from any given year every night of the week. It's kind of how the Olympics were this time with knowing a lot of the outcomes beforehand. We know who wins, but it's football all the same.

Next year fall won't be so bad. At least I'll know that the Winter Olympics are just a few months away.

4 comments:

ckweirath said...

I can't believe you are comparing the Big Ten network to the Olympics. Stein really has converted you! Pretty soon you are going to be making him stay in the kitchen if a big play happens so he doesn't "mess up the mojo". :)

Kelly said...

He made me put it in there.

Diane said...

I was hoping to get to bed early last night since the Olympics were finally done. But noooooo, we had to watch all those shows we had DDR'd during the Games to get caught up. So we were up just as late watching the Closer and Saving Grace. Thank God nothing is on tonight. The Elkridge Hurricanes play Saturday. That's great football!!!!!

Kelly said...

Woohoo! Go Hurricanes!