Thursday, July 24, 2008

Planning on Food

When you're traveling to Milwaukee (actually anywhere with us), you start planning your food ventures almost immediately when the travel plans start.

We'll have a few un-Marquette related meals to eat and time to kill while we're there, so I began thinking about some of my favorite Milwaukee spots. And because we're usually in Milwaukee when the windchill is below zero, I thought about my favorite summer Milwaukee spots to enjoy this time. Uh, summer in Wisconsin? Why, frozen custard of course. And frozen custard in Milwaukee? Why, Kopp's or Leon's frozen custard of course.

You may have tried frozen custard at one of the chains like Culver's, but I have to say, the custard in Milwaukee puts all those wanna-be's to shame. You can't beat the taste nor the experience of frozen custard in Milwaukee.

The two I mentioned are the favorites of Milwaukeeans, and each has its merits. Leon's has the fame of being the place that inspired "Al's Diner" on Happy Days. I tend to lean toward the Kopp's camp, because they feature flavors of the day and have calendars printed and ready each month so you can plan accordingly. I think you all know I'm a planner.

So in the spirit of planning the food surrounding our trip, aside from Stein suggesting we get into Chicago early picking up Chris to have lunch at Hot Doug's, I thought a pilgrimage to Kopp's would be in order. But first I had the good-planning sense to check their menu. Of course it's now online. (What did we do in college before the Internet?) I was hoping for 2 flavors to possibly be offered during the weekend we were there: Cookies and Cream, or Peanut Butter Cup. Either one would be fine with me. Insisting on both of them would be really greedy.

So what flavors will be offered this weekend? Take a look:

Friday, July 25, 2008
GERMAN APPLE
Friday, July 25, 2008
GRASSHOPPER FUDGE
Saturday, July 26, 2008
BIENENSTICHKUCHEN
Saturday, July 26, 2008
STRAWBERRY

Hey, I'm all in favor of the throw back to the German Milwaukee roots with the German Apple and that Bienen-whatever flavor, but come on. You couldn't throw a little Cookies and Cream or Peanut Butter Cup in the mix? I'm so disappointed.

Well, there's always another cold Milwaukee favorite to enjoy. You know the one. I'll be fine with a couple of those.

No comments: