Thursday, July 3, 2008

Beef Skewers

The other night I decided to try this recipe to use up some beef stew meat we had in the freezer. I knew we wouldn't be using the crock pot until fall to cook the meat, so I decided that a marinade may do the trick for cooking with this not-always-tender meat. I was right! The beef turned out really tasty and wasn't tough like stew meat can get. We even had it leftover the following night in a salad and in a tortilla. All three ways were delicious. Stein and I also talked about how it would be good as part of a shish-kabob meal with pita and cucumber sauce.

So, if you want to make this, here are some tips: the recipe calls for pork (which I think would be delicious!), but I used stew meat instead. I bet you could also use chicken. I just cut up the stew meat so it was relatively uniform in size and shape. I tried to get the pieces as long and flat as possible so they could lay on the grill when skewered. The recipe calls for 1 kilo of meat. That's roughly 2.2 pounds of meat. I boiled some of the marinade and then stir fried some vegetables in the marinade. While the taste was sweet, I felt like it was missing something, possibly salt? I was afraid with the soy sauce, though, that it would be salty enough. Oh well, you live and learn.

Enjoy!

No comments: