Tuesday, October 21, 2008

Water and Trees

On Friday, we went to Harbor Springs and drove along the road with the Tunnel of Trees. Our friends Doug and Susan were in town too, so we got to spend the day with them. We started in Petoskey with a quick breakfast, and headed over to Harbor Springs. Harbor Springs is a town that dots the waterfront surrounding the bay, much like Petoskey. Harbor Springs has a more small-town feel to me, with quaint shops and restaurants that take full advantage of the views of the water nearby. We spent some time in Harbor Springs, then took the drive that goes through the Tunnel of Trees. I know I've talked about this drive before, and I could go on and on about it again. But I won't bore you. Suffice it to say that it was gorgeous at this time of year. This road goes right past Leggs Inn, the Polish restaurant which I've also talked about before. We stopped in for lunch, and had a great meal. We thought it would be more crowded, especially when we learned they were closing for the season on Sunday. After lunch we headed outside to their expansive lawn to check out the view:
We got back in the car and just started driving. Around every corner or curve were beautiful trees. We kept saying, "Yay, us!" because we timed our trip just right. And the weather was perfect for a drive.
I couldn't help but get these shots of a quintessential fall scene:
More posts to come. Bear with me as I relive the weekend. I don't think we realized just how much we needed to get away until we were there. And now I just want to go back...

2 comments:

Dig said...

They might need teachers up there too you know. ;)

Anonymous said...

Hi Kelly,
My name is Jane and I'm with Dwellable.
I was looking for blogs about Harbor Springs to share on our site and I came across your post...If you're open to it, shoot me an email at jane(at)dwellable(dot)com.
Hope to hear from you soon!
Jane