Saturday, June 14, 2008

All I Ever Needed to Know I Learned From Fifth Graders

  • Life consists of three things: you, video games, and you.
  • Gross stuff is cool.
  • Graphic novels (comic books) are the best books.
  • Best friends change by the week, or day, or minute.
  • Notes written to friends always have a question and then a yes or no that you have to circle.
  • When the teacher is talking, listening and being quiet is optional.
  • Pens, pencils (especially mechanical), and erasers are so cool.
  • Playing soccer at recess (even if you just stand in the middle of the field), is the best.
  • If someone is bothering you, and you ask them to stop, it is acceptable to start chasing them around the room if they don't stop. Hitting them is also an option.
  • Thinking about going to middle school is a traumatic experience.
  • When you want to avoid doing your work, going to the bathroom or getting a drink of water is always a good time waster.
  • If you get enough love and attention from someone, you are willing to do almost anything for that person.

Well, it's over. I still can't believe it. I feel like someone is going to call me on Monday and say, "It's a joke. We need you to get into school and teach." I think I would cry if that happened. I can't tell you how good it feels to be done. I have such a feeling of accomplishment. I did it. I stuck it out, learned a heck of a lot along the way, and sent the kids off.

I will write about our last week in another post, but for now I am savoring the feeling of being done, being able to do what I want to do (reading for pleasure - what a concept!) and not having to think about kids, lesson plans, grading tests, and disciplining.

Wow. I did it.

2 comments:

Dig said...

And now your summer consists of you, good fun, and you. Well done, Kelly. I'm ever so proud of you.

ckweirath said...

Congratulations, Kelly! Time to relax and enjoy your summer!!