Sunday, May 11, 2008

Mom is Wow Upside Down

Wow. I do think that when I think of my mom. Not only because she endured raising 5 kids while working as a teacher and then as a principal, but because she did everything (and still does) with a positive attitude. Even when something doesn't go her way, she takes it in stride. She knows everything will work out eventually. She doesn't stress about things too much. Unless it's about her friends and family. Then she gets stressed.

I've been really appreciating her lately while I've been teaching. She was a teacher, but then she would also go home and be a mom. Did I mention to five kids? I can't imagine how she did it (or how my sister Mickey does it). Some days I literally eat dinner and climb into bed. I don't have other people relying on me to be fed, cleaned and clothed.

Stein and I went to brunch this morning with his parents and his sister's family. While we were there, his mom gave me a little gift. When I asked her why I was getting a gift, she said, "It's for being a mom to all of those kids in your class." I laughed, because it's true sometimes. I assume so many roles throughout the day. Doctor, nurse, therapist, cook, mechanic, warden, advisor. And I do think about the kids when I'm away from school. Sometimes I'm up at night thinking about them. Just like my mom did when she was teaching. I used to laugh at her that she couldn't sleep the whole night through. I thought she was crazy. Now I know exactly what she went through, aside from tacking five kids of her own on to her worry list.

Happy Mother's Day to all the mothers out there. You deserve a beautiful day doing something you love to do. You make me say wow.

No comments: