Sunday, October 28, 2007

Sunday Night Feeling

I'm sitting here with a slight Sunday night feeling. You know, that dreadful feeling that you get on Sunday nights when you have to go to work or school? For me, it usually starts around 6 or 7. Growing up, the minute I would hear the "tick, tick, tick" before 60 Minutes began, I would instantly get that feeling.

But like I said, tonight's feeling is just a slight Sunday night feeling. I feel prepared for tomorrow and most of the week (this is my "solo" week with Linda in the room), and I was really productive today. I got a lot of work done on my big project. It's a science unit of lessons on eating healthy. I'll probably start teaching it next week, during my official solo week (without Linda in the room).

The only regret I have about today is that I didn't get out to enjoy the weather. In fact, I didn't really get outside at all. The weather was a typical fall day - cool, with a crispness to the air and the leaves, with the warmth of the sun to cut the edge. The leaves on the trees are about at their peak colors, and many of them are on the ground from the windy days we had last week. Now they're just waiting for feet to kick them up or crunch them beneath, or for kids to gather them in a pile and jump in them.

My advisor told us to do the projects we have to do on Saturday and then enjoy the weather on Sunday. Good advice, in theory. Yesterday's weather was the other kind of typical fall day, but to the other extreme - cold, cloudy and rainy. The kind of weather that makes the leaves on the ground clump together and makes them slick.

But what my advisor didn't know was that I had the U-M football game to go to Saturday afternoon, and had to get things done around the house before that. So that only left today to get my work done, which I did. But I'm feeling a little "jipped" that I lost out on enjoying the day outside. Stein and I originally had plans to go to brunch at Zukey Lake Tavern for brunch (the place we had lunch for our end of summer Sunday) but I didn't want to cut it close with the amount of work I had to do. Stein did get out, though. He went to the cider mill to visit my brother and sister-n-law and pick up pies for me to bring to school tomorrow. He also went to see another one of Ben's hockey games.

My only consolation right now is a belly full of chili that Stein made for dinner tonight, and I can smell the apple pie that's baking in the oven. (At the cider mill you can buy pies either already baked or frozen to bake at home. We obviously bought the latter.)

All is well that ends well. I think chili and an apple pie is a good end to a good fall weekend.

No comments: