Tuesday, October 9, 2007

Disadvantages

Linda has been writing a couple grant proposals this week to try to get money for a 4th grade class field trip. You would think by the mention of the word "grant" that the field trip is something extravagant. A trip to Europe? A trip to Washington, D.C.? Going to follow the Lewis and Clark trail? Nope. Nope. And nope.

She wants the kids to go to camp for 2 nights.

There's a camp about 2 hours from Ann Arbor where they want to go. The kids would get the chance to explore nature, participate in team-building activities, and just get out of Ann Arbor. (Some kids have never been outside of the Ann Arbor area in their eight or nine years of life). The experience would be priceless in all aspects, with academics being a small part of it.

Linda has been using the fact that life experiences play a major role in learning success as her "selling point". This is so true. Think about it - growing up, when you read a story about an animal you saw at the zoo, you were more likely to have a picture of that animal in your head and know some of its characteristics. But if you've never been to the zoo, you obviously didn't have those pictures in your head. If you've been to Washington, D.C., you have a picture of the massive statue of Abraham Lincoln and probably realized the great impact he had on our nation's history. If you've never been there, you can't comprehend the size of the statue in a picture in a history book. Well, like I said, some of these kids have never been outside Ann Arbor. So, no zoo. No D.C. Limited life experiences.

It's kind of hard to fathom all of this, because Ann Arbor is certainly not a town with a large population living in poverty. In fact, less than 10 minutes from the school I'm at is the school in one of the most expensive neighborhoods in Ann Arbor. When over 50% of our school's population qualifies for free or reduced lunches, you really have to wonder.

Processing all this information initially made me sad. Yet, at the same time it has made me really thankful. A large part of the reason why I have been so successful in school and in my career(s) has been the life experiences I've had.

I grew up in Chicago, so I witnessed city life and all of its wonderful and not-so-wonderful qualities on a daily basis. A short el trip from our house would land my mom and me downtown to listen to a band, watch a ballet troupe, or eat our lunch next to a fountain. I went to Broadway plays (more about this obsession in a later post), off-Broadway plays, and off-off-off Broadway plays. We took trips. Short trips in the car, LONG trips in the car, trips on planes, stays in hotels. And the zoo? Well, my dad worked at the zoo for some time. So I got to see penguins close up, polar bears paws close up, and seals trying to get a glimpse of my dad close up. Again, I am so thankful. I am so lucky.

I am going to suggest that Linda send in a proposal to donorschoose.org. (Thanks to my friend Amy who let me know about this site.) Donors Choose lets teachers submit proposals for supplies or experiences that they want, and then donors can choose to give to their cause. If it does get accepted, I'll let you know. I would love it if these kids could have a little of what I know most of us have had.

3 comments:

Dig said...

So true. We are priviledged. I hope that you get the grant. Would your class like some pen pals from France, btw? I could speak to the class here....

amy7252 said...

Do let us know if you end up on Donors Choose. I'll put a challenge on my blog!

When I was teaching in grad school, I had a summer class with some college students who had never left the county. I was shocked -- I nearly insisted that we all pile into cars and drive to the next county just because we could! Definitely made me realize how lucky I was to travel extensively as a child. Even though I dreaded the annual two week family vacation (only because it cut into my play time with my friends), I am eternally grateful for them now!

Kelly said...

Karen and Amy,

I'll definitely keep you posted on both fronts - the pen pal and Donors Choose things, that is. Thanks for all your support!