Tuesday, October 23, 2007

Mid-Semester Review

I got my mid-semester reviews from Linda and my advisor today. They were really good, I have to say. You know I don't like to boast, but I have to say that I was pleased. And a little relieved if you want the truth! I mean, I've been getting positive feedback all along, but you never know when something may pop up at an evaluation.

In my past career(s), inevitably I would get through most of a review with flying colors, only to be stopped short at one or two points. "Oh, and this is what you need to work on," my boss would say in a quick, quiet voice. I don't mind criticism, so I always laughed to myself when this would happen. She or he would be sitting on the other side of the table feeling worse than I was, thinking he or she was offending me.

Today we talked about some areas I need to work on, but these are things that will be learned as I go. There are some things that will just get better with practice and other things that I just haven't had the opportunity to learn. And learn I will. In just a week and 1/2, I'm going to be solo teaching, meaning that I will be the only teacher in the room for 10 days. Gulp. When that happens, my evaluation will be done by the students. I will be able to read how I'm doing by watching their expressions, monitoring their behavior, and checking to see if I'm still standing at the end of the 10 days. Double Gulp.

3 comments:

Dig said...

Confidence, Kel. You are made to be a teacher! XOXO

amy7252 said...

"but you never know when something may pop up at an evaluation"

No worries, Kelly. You don't have a psycho boss anymore! (And you KNOW who I'm talking about!!)

ckweirath said...

You are going to do great, Kel. You are bound to be one of those "teachers I'll always remember" that the kids will talk fondly about 20 years later. Mrs. Carroll comes to mind for me....