Wednesday, May 6, 2009

Reading Against Time

I'm in a dilemma right now. I think I told you that I've had a little A.D.D. when it comes to reading lately (well, the past year or so)? I mean, I don't have an attention span to read more than a magazine article at one sitting. Not a good thing to say when you're trying to get kids to read on a regular basis!

You remember that I cruised through Twilight, just like everyone else who read it did, and even got through the second one. But I'm still in the first couple chapters of the third book with the fourth one waiting after that. (And it doesn't help that there's a fifth-grade Twilight maniac at school who bugs me about this fact about every other day.)

I did manage to read a book last week that was recommended to me by another teacher. The Miraculous Journey of Edward Tulane by Kate DiCamillo (author of Because of Winn Dixie and Tale of Desperaux) is a great book. It was nice because it's a kid's book and a light read, but had a powerful message. The style in which it's written is pretty unique too. It was short enough to hold my straying attention, but long enough to make me feel good about reading a complete book.

In the meantime, I am running out of time on two other books that I've started but have yet to finish. I've told you before that I ran out of steam after getting through the first five Harry Potter books. Well, the steam hasn't come back, and now the movie based on the sixth book is due out in July. Will I be able to get through this book before then?

Not before I read Angels and Demons. For that book, I only have about a week until the movie comes to theatres. Stein read the book years ago and is chomping at the bit to see the movie when it comes out. Oh, the pressure.

No comments: