Friday, December 19, 2008

The Weatherman Was Right

The phone rang at 5:20 am. I must have been sleeping through the first two rings, because by the time I got to the phone on the fourth ring, the answer machine picked up. "Hello? Hello?" I tried to sound like I was awake. I don't think it worked as my voice squeaked. "Kelly, it's Sally, we have a snow day, go back to sleep, and enjoy your break." I stood there in the dark, punched my fist in the air and whispered, "Yes!" out loud. Stein started shouting from the bedroom, "Come on! It's not that bad out there!" I went downstairs to call the next person on the list, and then promptly came back to bed. Stein was getting up to work out, and I climbed back into the cocoon of down, still warm. At first I had trouble falling back asleep, but that didn't last long.

So now I'm up, and ready to enjoy the snow day. There may be some laundry that gets done, or not. I may walk to the grocery store, or not. There are some books to be read, or not. I may watch some movies, or Christmas shows, or not. I know that there will be several cups of hot cocoa made, after some trips outside to shovel.

Today the world of my house is my oyster. And like I said before, what a great beginning to the holiday break.