Sunday, December 7, 2008

Tree and Trimming

We braved the elements and got our tree yesterday. It actually wasn't too bad out there. We all commented that it wasn't as bad as a couple years ago. Stein and I found our tree in record time, which helped too. Every year we get a tree, I say, "This is the best tree we ever got!" only to be followed by the next year when we get the best tree. Ever.

We always go to the tree farm with the same friends, so it has become a fun holiday tradition. It definitely kicks off the season for me, and gets me in the Christmas mood. I didn't get any pictures of the cutting-down process, because there were some furry friends who joined us this year. I was distracted, to say the least. Some of our friends brought their golden retriever, and other friends brought their new chocolate lab puppy. I couldn't get enough of that little puppy. I really wanted to pick him up and take a nibble of him, he's so cute. And chocolaty.
After the tree farm, we always go over to our friends' house to have chili and other goodies. The kids run around in the basement, while the adults catch up upstairs. The snow continued to fall throughout the evening, to the point where Stein had to help shovel the driveway that got pretty slick.
Then today we had Eric and Mia over to decorate the tree. That's another tradition we have. Stein and I contemplated today how many more years they will want to come over before it feels like an obligation. I'm hoping it goes right to the point of nostalgia for them so it never stops. I have just as much fun helping them find just the right spot on the tree. Inevitably, Stein and I need to do a little rearranging when they leave , since there are several favorite spots at just the right height that have a cluster of ornaments.


They also like playing with the Peanuts Christmas characters before we watch the cartoon.


I hope your holiday season is off to a festive start! Wishing you warm traditions, whatever or whomever they may involve.

1 comment:

Dig said...

I think you need a puppy. One would look great under your tree.