Friday, April 17, 2009

Reusin' & Recyclin'

Every year when I buy the starter plants for things like tomatoes and herbs, I'm amazed by the price of these things. I thought maybe this year I would try it on my own. So I bought some seeds yesterday, and needed to get them in some dirt. I didn't want to buy plastic containers, and I didn't want to invest in containers that would sit around if I decided not to do this project again. So I turned to the internet to see if I could use something I already had on hand.

It turns out, that the answer was newspaper! There were a lot of how-to videos and articles on the subject. This one was the clearest I found. So I got to work and made four of them. I only did four so I could test them and see if they work, and then plant the rest of the seeds I bought. Plus, four of them fit nicely in the english muffin container lined with some plastic.

This project was the thing I needed (or didn't need) when I had some work to do for an online class I'm taking. (If you didn't know, I'm kind of a procrastinator.) It didn't take that much time, though, so I eventually had to get back to the classwork. I'll keep you posted on how everything is growing.

1 comment:

Kris Mulkey said...

Love it! I'm going to do this with Elli.