Tuesday, September 29, 2009

Beggars Can't be Choosers

Guess what? I got a job! It's not in a classroom, but it's a steady job where I will be working with kids on a regular basis. It's part of the Title I program at another school in the district. I will be working with kindergarten and second grade students who need a little boost in reading, writing and math. I will work side-by-side with some of them in their classrooms, and will also have some small groups that I will pull out to work together.

It's funny how the whole thing worked out. I was subbing at the school where I will be working, and bumped into a woman who I had worked with while I was getting my certificate. After exchanging pleasantries for a few minutes, she came right out and asked me if I would like a job doing Title I work. I didn't hesitate and immediately said yes. After doing regular subbing for only a couple weeks this year, I was already over it. Not knowing where I will be each day, stalking the sub scheduling program online, and dealing with kids who take advantage of a sub is not my idea of fun. (A quick flashback to all of this made me possibly yell yes when I answered.)

I will start next Monday, and I will work 4 days a week. On the fifth day I will most likely sub, which I can handle. I think only subbing one day will keep me on my toes, and also allow me to pick and choose jobs.

While this isn't my ideal of being a classroom teacher, it's a job. It's not subbing. It's working with kids on a regular basis. I'm ready for this next adventure. Bring it on.

6 comments:

amy7252 said...

And it's reading! Congratulations!!

Personally, I think that you should start your own business. Some kind of after-school program to boost reading knowledge in fun ways.

Kelly said...

Thanks Amy! I like your business idea - you may be onto something. There is a lot that can and should be done in the area of reading!

Dig said...

YEAH KELLY!!!!!!! I bet you enjoy this a ton. Got a book list ready?

Michael McVey said...

Hey. Happy for you. Good luck. You can transform this toe-hold in education into something else that will lead you closer to the job you really want.

Kris Mulkey said...

Congrats Kelly!

shelly said...

Congratulations! What a gift you are to these kids!