Wednesday, February 10, 2010

Color in a Sea of Blah




We have a snow day today, but I think I'm too excited to sleep. I can't tell you how much I wanted this snow day. Sure, the gig is going well, but I am loving this break. Right smack dab in the middle of the week helps too. I have visions of a lot of stuff getting done today, or nothing at all. Ah, the luxury of a snow day.

Before the snow hit us yesterday and today, it was starting to get really blah outside. You all know how much I loathe winter, and part of the reason is the way winter looks. The browns and greys really mess with me. And the lack of sun doesn't help either. So it's times like these that I welcome color. Any color. Wherever I can find it.

The theme this week seems to be red. And not because it's almost Valentine's Day. It's been mostly coincidental that red is the color. Don't get me wrong, I like Valentine's Day in a school kid, candy heart and chocolate kind of way. But Stein and I don't get all mushy over the day.

The first punch of red was a complete surprise and such a thoughtful gift. Jane and Shark sent me this gift of Honey Crisp (I heart Honey Crisp) apples and raspberry preserves. It was a gift to congratulate me on my new gig. Thanks again, Shark and Jane! (Notice two of them were gone already when I took this picture a couple days ago.)

The other punch of red came in the form of tulips. I know I may be rushing the tuilp season, but they really brightened my day and our house. Just a bit of color and seeing live things makes me hopeful for spring.

And the third punch of red I didn't get a chance to capture on film. Yesterday as Stein and I were leaving for work, I looked over to the bare bush between our house and our neighbor's. There, perched like he was on display, was a cardinal. Another sight that makes me hopeful for spring.

Spring is coming, right?

No comments: