Wednesday, June 17, 2009

School's Out

Actually, it's been out for about five days now, but I'm just now taking some time to write about it. We've been on the move since it got out. End-of-the-year party, a trip to Chicago, and some sunny days have been taking up my time.

It's raining today. A perfect excuse to get some things done inside the house. Maybe I'll get some things organized for summer school. Or maybe not. Maybe I'll read a book. Or maybe not. You see, that's the beauty of summer. The possibilities are endless.

But before the summer gets away from me, I want to tell you about the last day of school. Traditionally at my school on the last day, there is an assembly mid-morning, where some people are thanked and if people are leaving they are bid farewell. My principal made a comment to me one day that led me to think I would be getting something at the assembly. She wanted to make sure I would be there for the last day of school.

I had a feeling it would be similar to the assembly last year. Since I was the long-term sub for the fifth grade then, I was given a gift and everyone clapped as I stood up at the front with a couple other people who did similar things.

But this year, I was called up alone. My principal said a few words about what I did this year, the whole time the kids near me were turning around to look at me. My eyes started to well up, but I kept it together as I walked up to receive my gift:

A dozen beautiful pink roses! (I took this picture this morning, so they have opened up a lot.) The sentiment was touching, to say the least. As I stood up in front of the school, several kids from various classes came up to me to give me hugs and cards like this one:

It was at this point that I was really getting choked up. My principal asked if I would like to say a few words, but I declined. Really, who wants to listen to a weeping idiot in front of a microphone?!

The day felt bittersweet, actually. I still don't know my fate for next year, and the prospects are slim, but I know I won't be at the same school again. This was a great opportunity I had for a whole year. I got to know all of the kids in the school, because I saw them on a regular basis. I won't have that next year if I am a day-to-day sub.

I am certainly thankful for the opportunity that I was given. It was a great trip.

1 comment:

ckweirath said...

So sweet. If only there was a story about Elinor....